JET Alumni needed to volunteer with National Children’s Museum at the National Cherry Blossom Festival Family Day. Event is on Saturday, March 26, 2011. Volunteers will interact with children and families in their Japanese dress-up area by helping visitors try on traditional yukata. Individuals should contact Lisa Marie Adkins (contact information below) to confirm their participation as a volunteer. Sorry for the late notice. Please help if you are free on the 26th!
Here are the preliminary details:
2011 National Cherry Blossom Festival
Family Day & Opening Ceremony
National Children’s Museum Volunteer Information
Date of Event: Saturday, March 26, 2011
Location: National Building Museum
Address: 401 F Street, NW WDC
9:30 a.m. -1:00 p.m.
2:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
1. There will be NO parking available at the National Building Museum. There are several parking garages available in the area (for directions/locations, go to http://www.nbm.org/Info/visit.html#directions). While there is metered parking in the area, they are restricted by two-hour limits and that is less than your volunteer shift. We highly suggest using Metro that day. The National Building Museum is directly across the street from the Judiciary Square Metro stop on the Red line.
2. Please bring photo identification for admittance into the National Building Museum.
3. For those volunteers working first thing in the morning (9:30 AM start), please enter through the 4th Street NW entrance (off the loading dock). All other doors to the Museum will remain closed and locked until 10:00 AM. Volunteers arriving for the 12:30 PM shift may enter the building through any entrance.
4. Upon arrival, NCM volunteers should report to Lisa Marie Adkins the National Children’s Museum activity. If you have any problems, call Lisa Marie’s cell phone, 317.502.3075.
5. We suggest that you travel lightly. There will not be a secured room to store any valuables and as your duties that day could cover a range of tasks, you may want to be as unencumbered as possible without worrying about backpacks or purses or such. If you must bring a purse, I would suggest it be one that you can wear across your torso.
6. Please wear comfortable clothing and close toe shoes. The National Children’s Museum will provide an apron that identifies you as an NCM volunteer. This will give you access to the break room and complimentary lunch.
Lisa Marie Adkins
Manager of Museum Without Walls
National Children’s Museum
955 L’Enfant Plaza North, SW | Suite 5100 | Washington, DC 20024
p: 202.675.4167| f: 202.675.4140